ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[drawing-prioritization]

GeoTLDPriorization Comment

  • To: <drawing-prioritization@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: GeoTLDPriorization Comment
  • From: "Maruhn Gerald (MWAEV)" <g.maruhn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 18:12:35 +0100

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the proposed Prioritization Draw.

According to our letter of endorsement and support signed by the former
minister, Mr. Peter Jacoby, given to dotSaarland GmbH concerning the
application for the .SAARLAND top level domain, the state government of the
Saarland believes that the gTLD will be used for the social and economic
benefit of the people of the German federal state of Saarland and will thereby
serve the public interest.

We think that the prioritization of GeoTLDs with governmental support along
with the IDN gTLDs would better serve the global public interest ICANN
represents as they will - just like IDNs - promote DNS diversity, make the
Internet more accessible, increase avenues of participation and serve the
public interest.
We think that according to it´s policy ICANN should share our interest in
enabling the GeoTLD applicants to beginn their work for the benefit of the
referred cities, states and regions as soon as possible, strengthening local
communities.

Additionally, given the small number of GeoTLDs, such a prioritization would
not unduly and substantially delay the remainder of the applications.

We therefore strongly agree with all comments which argue in favour of
prioritizing GeoTLD applications with formal letters of government support
alongside the currently prioritized IDN TLDs and urge ICANN to apply the same
standards and arguments to GeoTLDs.

Gerald Maruhn

Ministry for Economic Affairs, Labour, Energy and Transport

ICT-Regulatory Policy Department

Franz-Josef-Roeder-Str. 17

66119 Saarbruecken

Germany