ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Chair of GNSO IDN working group

  • To: <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Chair of GNSO IDN working group
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 18:34:39 +1100

Hello Mawaki,

> Your candidate is a PAC member (from what I've understood
> from Bruce's nomination), active participant of the registry
> industry, and involved in the IDN debates for years, etc. Is
> that all what we've got?

Just a reminder - I am chair of the GNSO, an active participant in the
registrar industry, and have been involved in domain name debates for
years.

I think any member of the GNSO (on either supply or user side) should be
considered as a chair for an activity within the GNSO on the basis of
basic criteria such as:

- has sufficient time to devote to the task

- has a deep understanding of the task

- is capable of chairing in a neutral manner

- has the ability to interact with other ICANN groups working on the
task

- is capable of explaining things in layman's language

I don't think knowledge or involvement in the industry should be a
reason against picking a particular candidate.

The key thing here is neutrality.  Ie If you have a strong view on a
particular policy and want to convince others of that view - it is
better to be a participant rather than a chair.  Generally if you are
from a particular constituency, you should let others speak for that
constituency where possible when you are acting in the role as chair.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin