ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Issues list item

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Issues list item
  • From: Will Rodger <wrodger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:44:42 -0500

Avri Doria wrote:
Hi,

There is one issue related to IDNs that has been tickling at me and I am not sure where it fits. I am even not sure to what extent the issue is different in IDNs then in non-IDNs

I am concerned about the possible name-grab by Northern speculators of all the best IDN TLDs and SLDs in scripts/alphabets used mostly in Southern areas.

I understand that from some aspects this may be no different then investments done in current non-IDN domain names. However, given the economic predominance and experience of Northern investors, I am concerned that the initial name-grab could push many language communities into a new form of 'name imperialism', where the linguistic resources that should be available to all members of a language community would be dominated by a small set of business interests.

Do we have hard data on this from the past? I fear ICANN is already struggling under the weight of the rules it has.

Will