ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Issues list item

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Issues list item
  • From: "Chun Eung Hwi" <ehchun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:06:49 +0900

Dear Avri Doria and others,

2007/1/31, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>:

On 31 jan 2007, at 06.40, Tan Tin Wee wrote:

> So both the discussion on the Korean govt statement and the
> statement itself should best be interpreted more positively
> than otherwise.

My concern is anything that would give a government, or a government
sponsored organization, control over a script/alphabet.

I know that I may be appear to be contracting myself with two
different positions:

- one that the language community should be protected from loss of
the their naming resources to Northern business interests

I think the issue of "confusingly similar" test could be regarded as one of
these attempts because it seems to be an effort of the existing gTLD
registries to extend its "rights" scope even into non-ascii name space by
exploiting the notion of "confusingly similar" Obviously, this issue shed
some lights on important aspects of IDN particularly when homographics
problem is to be taken into account. However, the problem of homographics
has already been well known even in its earlier date when punycode scheme
had been adopted as IDN standard. And what we learn from homographics case
is just warning to typographical similarity in IDN labels. To avoid
typographical similarity is not the same as ensuring any rights of the
existing gTLD labels.

- that governments should not be in the position of deciding on the
appropriateness of an application for IDN TLD or SLD

This is very good point. And basically I agree to that. But I should say
that specific IDN TLDs should serve the specific language script sharing
community and therefore, those IDN TLDs should get some support from the
script community. As you know, in its origin, IDN has been developed from
the demand of language script community. While gTLDs have a community of
interest depending on its TLD string related concerns, IDN TLD should
primarilty respond to the language script community's need.  Accordingly, to
answer to the question what label strings should be selected or who should
operate its registry, we should primarily take into accout the script
community's concerns. Probably, governments as one part of the language
community could have some role in this process. But I think each
government's role could be different depending on each country's linguistic
environment or specific language's geographical pervasiveness.

That leaves the idea of the language community having some say. but
the notion of language commnuinty is still somewhat unclear to me if
we remove all notions of sovereignty.  Not only does ICANN not have a
construct, similar perhaps to constituencies, to cover language
communities, but I know of no way of defining membership in a
community (e.g. questions such as: is speaking enough, or reading, or
writing?  does someone need to be a native speaker/reader/writer?
does the inability to read preclude membership?  if one emigrates
from the predominant land of the language do they lose their
membership in the community? does learning a language bring one into
the linguistic community? if so how much does one need to learn to
gain entry into the language community? if a company hires someone
who is a meber of the linguistic community do they gain 'rights'
within that linguistic community?).

I wonder if the term of sovereignty is appropriate here. Rather, as Mawaki
Chango described, the notion of cultural identity seems to be more
relevant.  You know, IDN started from this cultural identity concerns. And
naturally cultural identity has some relations with specific community -
here it is the language script community. One of flaws of the notion -
language community is that it seems to be too abstract as you appropriately
pointed out. However, if LIC(local internet community) in ccTLDs as refered
to as such in RFC1591 is also very abstract notion, but it is useful and
practical.

We frequently say that internet has overthrown national borders. But even in
internet date, language barrier (or border if we can use the term) obviously
exists. Therefore, language community is one important element in internet
sphere. I think it may be valuable to think over how we can make some
linkage of IDN TLD with language script community. It could be tough job,
but Unicode repertoire has also been developed by those language community's
positive participation.

The quandary I find myself stuck in is finding a balance that
protects the potential (developing nation) registrant from
exploitation, without developing/supporting notions of linguistic
sovereignty or investing new levels of authority on ICANN processes.

a.

-- --------------------- Chun Eung Hwi General Secretary, PeaceNet Korea chun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx pcs (+82) 19-259-2667 fax (+82) 2-2649-2624