ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] One comment on techno-policy details

  • To: "'Charles Shaban'" <cshaban@xxxxxxxx>, "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] One comment on techno-policy details
  • From: "Tina Dam" <tina.dam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:33:38 +0100

> Charles Shaban, February 07, 2007 7:25 AM

> > Bruce Tonkin, Wednesday, February 07, 2007 at 1:30 AM +0000 wrote:
> > xn--bruce.example confusingly similar to bruce.example
>
> I think the most important issue for me to decide if this is
> confusingly similar or not is not how it appears in the DNS,
> rather how the browser and whois data and the user what will
> see in general and even the search engines (when a user
> search for ASCII bruce this should not show).

Offcourse the problem is that (while it was not the intention at the time of
development of the IDNA protocol) the xn-- version quite often appears in
the browser address. Also, at the current stage the whois protocol can only
display the xn-- version and cannot handle unicode (web could be modified to
include unicode but that is up to the supplier).

Tina