ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: Homograph and terminology in generel --- was: [gnso-idn-wg] One comment on techno-policy details

  • To: Cary Karp <ck@xxxxxxxxxx>, gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx, tina.dam@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Homograph and terminology in generel --- was: [gnso-idn-wg] One comment on techno-policy details
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:32:29 -0800 (PST)

So, since a domain name string is not a grapheme (one character) but
more of a lexeme (a "string" as we say, that is, a word in the
vocabulary of the DNS), what we are talking about eventually boils
down to:

"Homographs that only differ from each other by one or more
homoglyphs," with

Homographs = words, lexemes, or strings that are graphically identic
(have the same spelling) but with different origins and meanings;
Homoglyphs = characters that are graphically or visually identic.

Thus, without changing anything to the definitions Tina and Cary
cited, the use of "homograph" was not that wrong. Just that the most
apecific and complete way to say it, is: "Homographs that only differ
from each other by one or more homoglyphs." Shorthand: homograph!

Maybe this will find its way to our wiki-lexicon to be?

Best,

Mawaki