ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Issues list item

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Issues list item
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:39:33 +0100

Hi,

On 10 feb 2007, at 15.08, Will Rodger wrote:

Tan Tin Wee wrote:

So there has to be a balance here. Whatever it is, failure to
take governments seriously or taking an adversarial approach
to governments or govt sponsored organisations in the matter of
language and scripts is a recipe for rapid failure, international
furore, and embarrassment at the naivette of governance
wannabees in the new world order of the Internet.

I don't think anyone here wants to dismiss governmental contributions, By the same token, I think it behooves the BC to treat governments -- in this matter -- as parties that may or may not have something to offer. The best solution has to win, regardless of origin.

I agree. As stakeholders within the discussion, I have no issue with government participation - i think they can be valuable members of the language community. What worries me is any notion of giving governments jurisdiction over IDN labels or of accepting the notion that governments have any sort of veto over IDN TLD or SLD selection.

a.