ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

[gnso-idn-wg] One string per application

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] One string per application
  • From: "Tan, William" <William.Tan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 17:32:27 -0500

Dear all,

This may be a bit premature but I'll bring it up anyway given that we will eventually get to the "Existing gTLD Strings" topic, and that the following has at least some overlap with the "Introduction of New gTLDs" topic that we discussed in the last call.

In one of the documents that Olof sent out in preparation of the Feb 6 calls, we had the following bullet point under "Existing gTLD Strings":

4.1 Agreement that the approach of the New gTLD PDP is one string for each application.

Have we considered provisions for TLDs in scripts that require bundling? This is at least applicable to Chinese domain names, where variants are widely regarded as necessary for proper utility of the TLD (or, more generally, the domain name.)

For example, if someone were to apply for .èéå (Traditional Chinese transliteration of Seattle), it would only make sense to have .èéå as well so that people who use Simplified Chinese (China, Singapore) can expect to find it. By restricting applications to a single string, the utility of the TLD would be vastly reduced.

Thoughts?

Best regards,
=wil