ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] One string per application

  • To: <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] One string per application
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:45:32 +1100

Hello Will,

> For example, if someone were to apply for .西雅? (Traditional Chinese
> transliteration of Seattle), it would only make sense to have .西雅图 as
> well so that people who use Simplified Chinese (China, Singapore) can
> expect to find it. By restricting applications to a single
> string, the
> utility of the TLD would be vastly reduced.

It is worth separating the issue of being granted a particular TLD string, and
the issue of strings that maybe be typographically similar.

In the example you quote above, a registry operator could apply for one or both
strings.   If the operator was granted both strings then the operator would
need to decide whether example.西雅?  and example.西雅图 would map to the same
nameserver.

If the registry operator applied for only one string and was granted the
string, then it would be difficult for another registry operator to gain
approval for the other string given its typographical similarity.

So I don't think the reigstry operator "needs" to apply for both, but there may
be a commercial advantage in doing so with two applications.

Note this issue is not specific to IDNs - e.g consider in ASCII com, c0m etc.
 I don’t see that a registry operator should be compelled to apply for, or be
granted, every possible typographic variation of their chosen string.

Regards
Bruce Tonkin