ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] One string per application

  • To: Mike Rodenbaugh <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] One string per application
  • From: "Tan, William" <William.Tan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:58:57 -0500

I would say that this is rather language- or script-specific. In your
example of .com, I too find it heard to decide if the three variants are
meant to be the same or different. Part of the problem may be that it is
abbreviated, so .kom could well be an abbreviation for something other
than "kommerz". Even if it was indeed abbreviated from "kommerz", the
language is different.

In the example I raised, however, they are both words in the same
language - Chinese. Therefore, a user residing in Taiwan is likely to
enter the former, while users in China would enter the latter. Most
Chinese users in either areas, though, are likely to recognize both
forms as equivalent.

On the premise that the two strings are widely regarded as similar,
users would be confused if:
1. They can use one form but not the other (by only having one form and
not the other, we could potentially be locking out an entire region of
users.)
2. Typing different forms get them to completely different web sites, as
might be the case if the different forms are run by different registry
operators.

This is essentially bringing RFC3743 bundling to the top level. If our
recommendation is to loosen the "One string per application" rule it
should only apply to certain narrow cases.

--
=wil
http://xri.net/=wil