ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Proposal on providing input from the IDN Working Group to Reserved Names Working Group on Geopolitical Names

  • To: "Maria Farrell" <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Proposal on providing input from the IDN Working Group to Reserved Names Working Group on Geopolitical Names
  • From: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:28:40 -0800

Maria,

Thank you.

The IDN Working Group will offer expert advice and input on geographic and
> > geopolitical names, as they apply to IDN, to the Reserved Names
> > Working Group of the GNSO Council

I refer this to the WG and the Chair. I am not sure why we (IDN-WG) would be selectively providing INPUT in the area mentioned above only!. It is true that it way my first meeting of the RN-WG this past Saturday in LA, but I have learned that there are more areas that ONE , as mentioned above that may require consulting with the IDN-WG.

Therefore, may I ask kindly what the basis was doe the narrow selection
above?

Second, I am also new to the 'Liaison' function, I am appointed by our
Chair, RAM Mohan, to be a Liaison of the IDN-WG to the RN-WG above.   Can
someone also clarify to me what 'Liaisons' are charged to do in this
instances >

Third, initially, RAM is selected as expert advise, so is Tina, because she
is on the cal.  Now, the above proposal calls for the whole group to provide
'expert advice', which makes sense, if there needs to be 'experts' in the
group on that area.

What I am finally asking is perhaps a definition of the
already 'narrow roles' defined and if  there is a decision to expand that,
then the IDN-WG should also be preview to all the RN group work, because
there are more concerns to the issues of IDN in the work of the RN-WG than
just the above.

Sophia

Thanks
Sophia