ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Addition to Section 4.2.1

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Addition to Section 4.2.1
  • From: Tan Tin Wee <tinwee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 00:41:22 +0800

I had wanted to have 4.2.1 revised as follows:
Support for both
(a) considering any local or regional pre-existing deployments
of IDN gTLDs, such as the experimental IDN system developed by
the Arab League, the Chinese language community and other
communities in a smaller scale,
and
(b) not penalising them in the IDN gTLD application process,
when introducing new IDN gTLDs,
so as to avoid potential confusion or backlash.

which sounds pretty unwieldy,
but then I relooked at Avri's comments, and I think I like her
concise and incisive statement better (please subtract for my obvious
bias as the oldest pioneer of IDN deployment on this list)

Section 4.2.1
"Agreement that the pioneers in IDN deployment should not be
penalized and that ICANN must do its utmost to support work
that has gone on in the absence of centralized support."

tin wee

Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
> Unfortunately I will be on a plane during the Friday special meeting, so
> decided i would put my comments/issues into an email message.
> As opposed to going through then by category, as makes sense in the
> meetings, i will just got through the sections where i have questions or
> comments numerically.
[snipped]
> ---4.2.1
> I agree that the pioneers in IDN deployment should not be penalized and
> that ICANN must do its utmost to support work that has gone on in the
> absence of centralized support.
 [snipped]
> thanks
> a.

Yoav Keren wrote:
This is a good addition. I totally agree with Avri's point. I think that
this final wording should be supported.

Yoav