ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Addition to Section 4.2.1

  • To: <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Addition to Section 4.2.1
  • From: "Yoav Keren" <yoav@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:20:46 +0200

Dear Ram,

First, this issue gained support in a call I was absent. I was merely
trying to elaborate on it. I don't see a difference between the Arabic
League experiment or what China did. What I believe is that when IDN
TLDs would be delegated, these past initiative need to be considered on
a case by case basis, while evaluating the situation in each case, and
consulting with the language community. It doesn't mean that
automatically those initiatives should be approved by ICANN, but rather
taken into consideration when delegating the IDN TLDs.

More over - I do not really understand this notion of an alternate root
- on one hand I heard ICANN people saying what China is doing is only a
local thing and that it does not collide with ICANN's root, yet also
heard others calling it an alternate root. Let's be frank here - what
China has done is launching Chinese IDN TLDs, that resolve widely within
China and of most importance marketed as such. They did not want to wait
for ICANN anymore (the people of the world have been waiting since
1999). Do we really think what has already been done in China can be
ignored? Do we really think that if ICANN decides differently the
Chinese will cease their IDN system?!?!

So it stand to reason that as we consider things case by case it is
likely that in some cases, like China, the two scenarios you brought up
may actually happen anyway.

I believe that the final editing of Tin Wee, is generally saying we must
take these occurrences into consideration on a case by case basis. Just
for reminder this was Tin Wee's last wording:

******************

Section 4.2.1

Support for both

(a) considering any local or regional pre-existing deployments of IDN
gTLDs, such as the experimental IDN system developed by the Arab League,
the Chinese language community and other communities in a smaller scale,
and

(b) not penalising them in the IDN gTLD application process, when
introducing new IDN gTLDs, so as to avoid potential confusion or
backlash.

We may want to add the word mentioned in Avri's statement "pioneering"
before "deployments", so the sentence would be "considering any local or
regional pre-existing pioneering deployments".

Yoav