ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Addition to Section 4.2.1

  • To: "'Yoav Keren'" <yoav@xxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Addition to Section 4.2.1
  • From: "Ram Mohan" <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:51:45 -0400

Dear Yoav,

Do I understand this correctly:

If a prior experiment/development exists, including in the use of an
alternate root, the use of a proxy system, or DNS changes that are required
of local ISPs in a specific geographic region, then:

-          ICANN should provide backward compatibility for these alternate
root systems/"experimental" systems

-          New IDN gTLD applicants should be barred from applying for these,
to avoid potential confusion/backlash

I appreciate your clarification.

Regards,

Ram