ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] 4.6.1 suggested revision

  • To: rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] 4.6.1 suggested revision
  • From: "Tan, William" <William.Tan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:47:48 -0400

In the interests of interoperability, I wonder if we should recommend registries that display registrant information to tag the content as such, i.e. specify the charset used in the whois output.

In any case, the suggested modifications look fine to me.

=wil

Ram Mohan wrote:

I suggest the consolidation of two alternative view statements below into one.

*4.6.1 (OLD)*

*Support* for recognizing a current practice to display the registrant in local script and at least one of the contacts in ASCII.

*Alternative view*; to prescribe that both local script and ASCII versions of Whois should be available.

*Alternative view;* to recognize the debate on open Whois access versus privacy concerns in deliberations on Whois regarding IDN SLDs.

*Alternative view*; to recognize that there may be further IDN Whois issues to investigate.

---

*4.6.1 (SUGGESTED NEW)*

*Support* for recognizing a current practice to display the registrant in local script and at least one of the contacts in ASCII.

*Alternative view*; to prescribe that both local script and ASCII versions of Whois should be available.

*Alternative view*; to recognize that there may be further IDN Whois issues to investigate, including but not limited to open Whois access versus privacy concerns, etc.

-Ram