ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Addition to Section 4.2.1

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Addition to Section 4.2.1
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:42:22 +0100

Hi,

assuming the following is the suggested language (i may have lost track)

Support for considering and not penalising any pioneering,
pre-existing
developments regarding IDN gTLDs with widespread language community
support,

i support this first phrase

for example, the experimental IDN system run
by the Arab
League, China and other countries in a smaller scale when
considering
introduction of new IDN gTLDs, to avoid potential confusion/ backlash.

i don't support singling out any particular pre-existing developments because i don't think we have gone through all the necessary criteria for deciding which pioneering/pre-existing efforts get what level of consideration.

i also think we should give them consideration not out of fear of confusion or backlash, but because running code should be considered anytime we think of designing new code. and if it works and is compatible with the principles of ICANN then is should get due consideration.

Alternate:

Support for considering and not penalising any pioneering, pre- existing developments regarding IDN gTLDs with widespread language community support. Also recommend that ICANN support any such efforts that are in keeping with its principles and goals and which are in current use by established language communities.

a.