ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-impl-irtpc-rt]

Re: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] IRTP Part C Update

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] IRTP Part C Update
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:16:51 -0500

hi all,

several questions.

first, is Mike OK?  please pass along my hopes that all is well.

on the policy/implementation matter.  as a member of all the working groups you
mentioned Caitlin, i'd like to add my voice to the chorus that is calling for
expediting this process.  while ICANN spends millions reinventing various
social media under the banner of "Digital Engagement" and ferrying Spectacular
Resumes around to various strategic planning groups, registrants and ISPs are
seeing significant issues with the security and stability of the DNS.  the
recommendations of these working groups are not made just for fun -- they are
aimed at improving the functioning of the DNS for all.

so please provide something a bit more concrete in terms of a timeline.  is
this person going to be hired in a week, a month, a quarter, a year?  are they
going to be the project manager who oversees the implementation projects that
need to take place?  who's responsible for getting this work under way in the
interim?  where's the project charter and workplan that was promised at that
meeting sooo long ago?  can we get in the habit of providing weekly or biweekly
updates to this group as to status?  i agree with James that the contracted
parties have a lot on their plates -- but one thing that would help them, along
with the non-contracted parties, would be some plans in place to give them some
predictability as to when changes are coming.

sorry to be such a grouch, but we really need to bear down and get some focus
on this stuff.  soon.

mikey

On Oct 16, 2013, at 3:43 PM, "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Catilin.  Thanks for the update.  Agree that Registrars have (more than)
> enough on their plates at the moment.  Even large organizations are
> struggling to keep up, and we are very wary of the potential confusion for
> Registrants.
>
> If there is one major change resulting from IRTP-C, it was the change of
> Registrant (COR) process.  Like many registrars, Go Daddy already offers this
> service internally.  But I can ask if we have any descriptions or flowcharts
> that are shareable with the group that might help guide our work on this
> recommendation.  I'll try to post this in the next few weeks.
>
> Thanks--
>
> J.
>

> From: Caitlin Tubergen <caitlin.tubergen@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:12 PM
> To: "gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxx" <gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxx>,
> "gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] IRTP Part C Update
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Thank you for volunteering to participate in the IRTP Part C IRT.  I wanted
> to give you a quick update on where things stand.
>
> The IRT met once on 3 July to go over the project plan drafted by Mike Zupke.
>  Thank you again to all who participated in the call.  ICANN 47 in Durban
> took place shortly after this call, and members of the registrar community
> expressed some concern about all of the new contractual and policy
> implementation efforts that were coming down the pipeline, including but not
> limited to, the 2013 RAA, the Expired Registration Recovery Policy
> (PEDNR/ERRP), IRTP Part B Recommendations 8 and 9 and IRTP Part C
> Recommendations 1, 2 and 3.  To that end, we plan to work with the registrar
> community on an implementation roll-out plan, designed to make policy
> implementation cycles more predictable and thereby more manageable for
> registrars to incorporate into their business models.
>
> In addition to putting together a more predictable policy implementation
> cycle, the Registrar Services Team is in the process of interviewing
> candidates for a new position within the team.  This new ICANN staff member
> will be responsible for liaising with the ICANN Policy Team, Working Groups,
> and Implementation Review Teams on issues that involve the registrar
> community.
>
> The board approval of the 2013 RAA and related outreach and education efforts
> as well as resource limitations in the Registrar Services Team has caused
> delays in the IRTP Part C IRT meeting planning.  While we appreciate that
> members of the community were hoping for an earlier implementation plan, I
> wanted to provide you with an explanation of what has been going on during
> this period.  We are also aware that there may be concerns about keeping
> fresh the WG discussions and original intent. In short, we have not forgotten
> about the work of this team, and we are confident that adding another staff
> [...]

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP
(ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)