ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: Rationale for Board Committee Resolution Posted

  • To: gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: Rationale for Board Committee Resolution Posted
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:17:13 -0400

Hi,

>> A rationale that talks about GNSO process issues without discussing the
>> major process issue with the original Board motion that led to this is
>> seriously lacking.

As I tried to point out in one of the comment I made, the GNSO is constrained
to use its processes in creating new policy by our by-laws and by the operating
procedures.  The Board has no such constraints.  The only constraints they have
is in terms of how they handle our proposed policy recommendations, i.e if we
do the right thing and follow all of our processes and have  a super majority,
then they need a super majority to ignore GNSO recommendations.  We did not
follow proper process and hence there was no constraint on them to even
consider what we had to say.  The fact that they did, is due to their grace.
Even the comment periods they allowed for the AGB, went far beyond their
by-laws requirements.

That ability of the board to act on it own guidance may be a larger issue we
should all rally to in a separate cause, but in this specific case we did not
follow required processes. And in any case, I am sure they had a super-majority
to overrule the strong support rom this group and the vote of the g-council.

I also think that if the group had only tried to fix the so-called flaws n the
implementation, it might have gotten further. Instead it tried to create
further special 'protections', e.g. the right of implicit/explicit licensing.
If the addition of names to the reserved list by the Board without a policy
process s a big thing, the creation of a new class of reserved names that have
the rights of licensing, it a monumental thing that should be subject to a
proper policy process.

avri