ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

Re: [gnso-osc] OSC Chair Position

  • To: gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] OSC Chair Position
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:24:24 -0500

Hi,

Thanks for opening this up for discussion.

As you probably know, I have always been concerned about Chairs of subgroups
'reporting' to themselves as Chairs of the chartering body.  I tend to think
that it confuses the ability of the person to both be objective and neutral in
the chartering group and strongly represent their chartered group. As chair of
the OSC you are charged with representing, as strongly as possible, the needs
and decisions of the  OSC, while on the other hand as Chair of the Council you
are required to handle the requests of all subgroups in a neutral and objective
manner. It is difficult to be both a strong advocate of a group and neutral
about that group at the same time.  I must admit, I have the same concerns for
v-chairs and believe that the chairs/v-chairs (and often even the members) of
the chartering groups should not chair subgroups except in emergency situations
and then only briefly.

I also think that in the effort to spread the responsibility around among the
stakeholder groups, it is important to reach out and to get a diverse group of
leaders whenever possible.

a.