ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

RE: [gnso-osc] GNSO Council procedures - avoiding abstention - proxy vote - approval by April 15

  • To: gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc] GNSO Council procedures - avoiding abstention - proxy vote - approval by April 15
  • From: philip.sheppard@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 16:44:41 +0200 (CEST)

Ron, you raise an interesting point.
The essence of the Council objection was that the NCUC charter in
particular did not have a process as envisaged in the original rules and
that they had no intent of adding one.
(BTW for the BC it is also the case we do not have an explicit charter
article on this but our Charter is flexible enough to be able to issue
voting direction).

---------------
That aside there is a bigger issue.
Should the higher level Council rules dictate Constituency rules?
Or should the Constituency rules map to Council?

In answering this question at the general level it seems to me that in  a
bottom-up organisation Council rules should work with differences in
Constituency charters.
At the practical level this issue is minor.
The proxy vote is not an option for an absence.
It is a secondary remedy for an abstention due to a conflict of interest.
It is an option.
Providing flexibility seems to be the best way forward.
Happy to hear other views on this.
Philip