ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] RAPWG - Definitions

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] RAPWG - Definitions
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:22:20 +0100

In message <1422E1A20DD46D40A577DFE39B44858574DE55EF73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.local>, at 16:30:35 on Sun, 29 Mar 2009, Richard Tindal <Richard.Tindal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
.  I think it?s important we not pre-label things or start with the premise that something is an abuse unless proven otherwise.  For example,

This is a draft document, and it's therefore entirely normal, and understood, to phrase it in the way it has been.

What we could have, perhaps, is section for activities that we have decided aren't abuses, so people can see that we didn't forget them, or fail to consider them.

We would then have three classes of activity:

Abuse in scope
Abuse out of scope
Not abuse

(And for the avoidance of doubt, I would take it as an action point that someone, somewhere, should then look at the second category and decide how to bring it into some other organisation's or WG's scope.

I don?t think ?automated tools to register bulk domains? is an abuse,  but my mind is open to be persuaded otherwise

If it's tool that's scanning the "whois" database for currently unregistered typo-squatting opportunities, then if the latter is an abuse (I happen to think it is) then so is the tool.

There's another aspect, however, which is the swamping (sniping) of sunrise periods [1] by people with "bigger guns". That might be considered legitimate in an environment of "all is fair in love and war", but it does squeeze out the 'amateurs' who might be wanting to register just one domain, and don't realise they would have to do this through an intermediary with the necessary fire-power. To use an analogy, I think eBay would *not* be a better place if the only way to win an auction was to use an automated sniping tool (but I can see that others might have a different view).

[1] Either seriously big sunrises when new tlds are launched, or smaller ones when a batch of expired names is thrown back into the pool.
--
Roland Perry