ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] counter-attack idea

  • To: "gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] counter-attack idea
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:14:15 -0500

this is just an idea to heave into the pile.

let's say that we find a person abusing the domain-name system to power their botnet. let's further presume that (like the Conficker case) we know the domain names. what if we didn't take those names down, but instead made it possible to use those names to wrest the botnet away from the bad-guys? what policy would we need to craft in order to allow good-guys to do that in a safe and orderly way?

sorry to be soo off-topic...  this post doesn't merit any reply.