ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] counter-attack idea

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] counter-attack idea
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 20:47:03 +0100

In message <200904011614.n31GEDK6019606@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, at 11:14:15 on Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Mike O'Connor <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> writes
let's say that we find a person abusing the domain-name system to power their botnet. let's further presume that (like the Conficker case) we know the domain names. what if we didn't take those names down, but instead made it possible to use those names to wrest the botnet away from the bad-guys?

I have been thinking along similar lines.

At the very least, wouldn't answering the "call home" (but not with anything that was necessarily guaranteed to be an instruction to turn themselves off) give us a list of the infected PCs?

what policy would we need to craft in order to allow good-guys to do that in a safe and orderly way?

That's the easy question: we need to define the use of the domain names in that way [1] unambiguously as "abuse", so that any organisation who might be considering useful taking action does not refrain from doing so on the basis that "it is not in the business of deciding what abuse is".

[1] And in all the other ways we are beginning to document.
--
Roland Perry