ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] Crossfire

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] Crossfire
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:09:23 +0100

Dear all,

When considering the various types of abuse (whether they be clearly illegal, or clearly just anti-social behaviour) I wonder if we are too strict with ourselves regarding efforts to exclude side effects.

Here's an example:

A car park for shoppers charges $1/hour for the first 4 hours, then $5/hour for the second 4 hours, to discourage shop and office workers from parking there all day. They also have a rule that you can't exit and re-enter (eg in your lunch break) and therefore only pay two lots of $4. That behaviour has been decided to be abusive.

But if someone visits a shop and halfway home remembers they forgot something, they can't return and park again, even paying $5/hr for a few minutes, because of the "no return" (same day) rule.

I'm going to call this kind of adverse outcome "crossfire" (or is there some other generally accepted word already in use)?

There are plenty of other rules which might reduce the crossfire, but this rule is a commonplace one and has presumably been selected because it allows a simple yes/no resolution to disputes: "Have you re-entered". And presumably the people who introduced these rules take the view that "nothing's perfect, and a simple to enforce rule with sufficient benefits for the majority, is good enough for us".

So I propose an extra column, to describe the circumstances of "crossfire", or if you like "legitimate activities that are in danger of being banned". Then we can show that they've been considered, and we might even be able to come to a consensus about the acceptable degree of crossfire for some of the categories.

A couple of obvious examples of crossfire:

Fast Flux / Akamai
Verified (and public) whois / FBI sting operation
--
Roland Perry