ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] domain life cycle

  • To: "'eckhaus jeff'" <eckhaus@xxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] domain life cycle
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 06:38:07 -0400

Dear Jeff:

This was in relation to what a "registration" is.  We are reviewing the
domain lifecycle as it is helpful to understand what operations may be
performed on a domain.  As you know, many PDPs have been related to domain
lifecycle issues, such as deletions, transfer operations, and the Add Grace
Period.

The chart I sent was designed a few years ago after RGP was instituted, to
help illustrate what happens after deletion.  The labeling "when a
registrant should realize" was a notation about RGP.  By design, the RGP
mechanism places domains on Hold status so they stop resolving.  This is a
signal to the registrant, who may then redeem the domain if he or she
wishes.

All best,

--Greg

  _____