ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-sti]

RE: [gnso-sti] Draft STI Report

  • To: GNSO STI <gnso-sti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-sti] Draft STI Report
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 22:15:30 -0500

I support this.  Alan

At 05/12/2009 05:41 PM, Neuman, Jeff wrote:

Thanks Margie,

Recommendations 2.3 and 6.1 are very much related. I believe the following changes should be made in conjunction with our discussions.

2.3 should be changed from "The TC Service Provider should be required to maintain a separate TC database, and may not use the TC database to provide ancillary services." To "The TC Service Provider should be required to maintain a separate TC database, and may not store any data in the TC database related to its provision of ancillary services, if any."

6.1 should be changed from: "There should be no bar on the TC Service Provider or other third party service providers providing ancillary services on a non-exclusive basis. Such services could include, without limitation, a "marks contained" service, or a TM watch service. In order not to have a competitive advantage over competitors, the TC database should be licensed to competitors interested in providing ancillary services on reasonable terms. The implementation details should be left to Staff to address possible monopoly and competition concerns. If the TC Service Provider provides such ancillary services, any information should be stored in a separate database." to:

"There should be no bar on the TC Service Provider or other third party service providers providing ancillary services on a non-exclusive basis. Such services could include, without limitation, a "marks contained" service, or a TM watch service. In order not to have a competitive advantage over competitors, the TC database should be licensed to competitors interested in providing ancillary services on an equal basis on commercially reasonable terms; provided that the TC Service Provider is not materially advantaged in the provision of such ancillary services by virtue of it being the TC Service Provider. The specific implementation details should be left to Staff to address possible monopoly and competition concerns, and all terms and conditions related to the provision of such services shall be included in the TC Service Provider's agreement with ICANN and subject to ICANN review. As stated in 2.3, if the TC Service Provider provides such ancillary services, any information should be stored in a separate database.

Thanks again Margie. I will review the other provisions when I get a few more minutes.

Jeffrey J. Neuman