ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] a first idea to trash

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] a first idea to trash
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 22:06:18 -0500

I was of the view that a WG charter defined the scope of the PDP. I did not
know that it was a schedule. Putting a schedule down on paper is simple -

<irony> if that is all we have to do we will surely be done soon and the work
will be easy. </irony>

Although I ardently support Avri's wish to make the PDP expeditious and timely,
the realist in me suggests that the PDP will be finished when the people within
it are able to produce a result they can agree on.

If that is true, the best way a charter-drafting group can contribute to that
goal is by clearly defining - and limiting - what the group is expected to do,
and the reasons for doing it.

Therefore, I would prefer that this group concentrate on defining and
realistically bounding the scope and objectives of the PDP rather than debating
time lines.

The first step in an attempt to define and delimit the scope of the PDP will be
a description of what policy problem the PDP is intended to solve, and a
definition of terms. My next contribution to this list will be a step in that
direction.

--MM