ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Vertical Integration PDP Charter DT

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Vertical Integration PDP Charter DT
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 09:30:14 -0500

Please see my responses below.

Chuck

Chuck: There is no defined requirement why calling for volunteers for
the WG has to wait until the Council meeting on 18 Feb.  That just
seemed like a good place to kick it off and it would also allow another
couple weeks for the DT to do its work.  I have tentatively added an
agenda item on the 18th to get a brief overview of the draft charter
(assuming it is not already done); that information might assist
possible volunteers for the WG. It seems helpful to provide a WG charter
when we request volunteers.

> - While I know what a WG needs a liaison, i did not know that
> a DT which is short lived needed one too.

Liaisons are simply to facilitate communication between the Council and
the team.  I am fine with Margie do that if the DT is okay with that.

>  Of course the
> council needs to pick one out for the WG.

Chuck: I am not personally convinced that a liaison is absolutely
necessary for a WG either, but I support the concept.

>  My hope is that it
> is someone who is interested in the subject while not being
> someone who is a champion for a particular perspective.

Chuck: Agree. If we cannot identify a liaison who is not a champion for
a particular cause, it might be better to have a Staff person or a
non-Council member fulfill the function.

> Likewise with a chair, isn't it the WG that needs a chair?
> DTs need chair's too?

Chuck: I believe it is helpful to have leadership in most efforts.  I
don't care what we call it.  Who is going to keep the ball rolling if we
do not identify a person or persons to assume that responsibility?

>And are they same as the WG chairs -
> though I guess not, since the WG pick their chairs as opposed
> to having someone just volunteer.
>
> - As the next council meeting is on 18 Feb. it means one
> needs a motion on a charter by the 11th.  With only 16 weeks
> in order to produce a report, I do not understand why we are
> already declaring that we cannot make that meeting.  If we
> have to wait for the following meeting we need to wait until
> the Nairobi meeting, which means we will have already blown 6
> of the 16 weeks. Do we really need more then a week to
> develop a charter?

Chuck: If the DT can finalize a draft charter for Council consideration
by 11 February, it can be considered by the Council on 18 February.

> As far as I can tell, the council motion already contains the
> tasks to be completed by the WG, though I guess some believe
> it needs some disambiguation and further elucidation.  I
> think it is clear enough to get work started, but in any case
> we should be able to disambiguate the problem to be solved
> quickly.  And further disambiguation will happen during the
> course of the WG with question back to the council as
> managers if necessary.
>
> So what we really need is a WG process and should be able to
> either use the one other groups have been using or the draft
> the PPSG WGWT is about to release.  And then we need a set of
> milestones.  I do not understand why this cannot  be done in
> a few days.  If we want to meet the 16 week deadline given by
> the council, we need to find a way to get things done as
> apposed to understanding why we can get them done.
>
> But as I say, your call.

Chuck: I am not trying to determine the process.  It really is in the
hands of the DT and my intent was to suggest some things to help the DT.