ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] First stab at objectives and a definition of VI
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:00:07 -0500

I would like to caution against ignoring 50+ years of policy debate about
vertical integration in numerous industry sectors under the pretense that the
internet and how we govern it is somehow "different" simply because some of us
are unaware of that legacy.

We need to adhere to a correct and accepted definition of VI. Whether we look
at other situations or not, we still need a careful definition of what these
"related situations" are. If they are not vertical integration you don't create
any value or analytical traction by calling them vertical integration - quite
the opposite, you confuse things.

> For example, various definitions of Affiliation between
> Registrars and Registries and some forms of cross ownership
> could have similar effects as text book 'single corporate
> structure' Vertical Integration.

Two responses to this.

First, whether or not your concern about "similar effects" is valid and
justified, one still needs an agreed definition of vertical integration to know
whether the effects are similar or not, and whether other structural
arrangements that fall short of VI actually raise these concerns.

Second, we don't want this PDP - or any PDP - to become a fishing expedition
that can encompass any and every economic concern related to registries and
registrars. We need to bound the scope of the PDP. As I read it, the PDP is
fundamenally about vertical integration. The term is in the motion that created
the WG and this DT. If the issues that concern you are NOT caused by vertical
integration then a PDP about vertical integration does not address them.

> I think within the ICANN
> context of the term and restrictions on vertical Integration
> have to be extended beyond the strict text book definitions
> and we have to look at these related situations.

No - the answer to your problem is to expand the definition of the scope of the
WG. It is not to try (a futile attempt) to change the definition of vertical
integration. You are arguing for a broader scope for the WG. It is not an
argument about the definition of VI.

--MM