ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Turning the Preliminary Report to an Initial Report

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Turning the Preliminary Report to an Initial Report
  • From: Margie Milam <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:01:02 -0700

All-

I looked into this issue of whether the VI-WG report could be an Initial Report
rather than a Preliminary Report.   In referring to the Initial Report, the
Bylaws state:

"The Staff Manager will take all Constituency/Stakeholder Group Statements,
Public Comment Statements, and other information and compile (and post on the
Comment Site) an Initial Report ..."

That leaves a lot of flexibility for the working group in what should be
included in an Initial Report.  My understanding is that the Initial Report
usually addresses the tasks outlined in the PDP Charter.  However, since the
Working Group has not completed its analysis on any objective in the Charter,
it may be premature to call the information contained in the report as an
"Initial Report."

In looking at the document I circulated yesterday, the document already
includes some Constituency/Stakeholder Group Statements, and a summary of the
Public Comment Statements.  However,  I recall that some of you were still
attempting to update or prepare Constituency/Stakeholder Group Statements for
this purpose.  If the report is to serve as an "Initial Report," we should make
sure that all of these statements are current, or delete the ones (if any) that
are now out-of-date.

It is also important to note that the Initial Report will need to be posted for
public comment of twenty (20) days, and this would be the last public comment
period required under the Bylaws prior to GNSO Council approval.  As a result,
the Initial Report should ideally reflect the likely recommendations to come
from the working group.  If the proposals are not sufficiently developed, then
the public may be unable to meaningfully participate and respond.

Best Regards,

Margie

Margie Milam

Senior Policy Counselor