ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: "livability"

  • To: Jothan Frakes <jothan@xxxxxxxxx>, "icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] RE: "livability"
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:43:31 -0400

It's a serious question.
I am a bit surprised that many registrars have told me they don't support CAM
because it doesn't require all registries to offer access to all registrars in
all cases.
Therefore it is perfectly legitimate to turn the tables and ask, why shouldn't
all registrars be required to carry all TLDs? Of course, this would be an
economic disaster for many small registrars - as Jeff E. explained. But the
same holds true for small registries. Forcing them to open themselves up to any
and every registrar - even when most of them will not play - seems pointless to
a disinterested observer, indeed, to anyone but a registrar with a vested
interest in guaranteed market access.
Indeed, it really strikes me as fundamentally unreasonable, if not greedy, for
registrars to demand guaranteed access to tiny TLDs with specialized needs. The
more I think about it, the more unreasonable and silly it seems. This is not
the old .com world we are headed into, and the assumption that every TLD name
that comes along is .com, .net or .org is just absurd and needs to be
abandoned.

--MM