ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] "livability"

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] "livability"
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:35:24 -0400

When we talk about whether one can "live with" the DAGv4 proposal, I have one
major uncertainty. My understanding is that DAGv4 ownership limits and
separations would ONLY apply to new applicants, and NOT to incumbents and their
existing TLDs. Thus, DAGv4 would prevent registrars from having any significant
ownership interest in registries of new gTLDs, but it would not require
Afilias/Neustar/VeriSign et al to divest their existing ownership interests in
registrars. Is that correct?

Milton L. Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4ALL Professor, Technology University of Delft