ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] REVISED Proposal-support poll

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] REVISED Proposal-support poll
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:50:49 -0500

argh.

i wish this email list was faster -- there's about a 10 minute delay and our
emails crossed.

i don't disagree with Roberto (naturally).  but i went ahead and closed the
poll based on a submission from outside the working group, and based on the
email thread of yesterday and i think i'll stick with that for now.  there's
another problem with those polls -- anybody from anywhere on the Internet can
log on to the poll and change entries.  *that* came as something of a surprise
and is a bit harder to audit/manage than separating out WG people vs non-WG
people.

so let's leave it like this -- *anybody* can send me an email with their views
(including people outside the WG) and i'll post them to the poll.  and next
time i'll tune up the security a little bit.

sorry about the crossed wires.

mikey

On Jun 12, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Mikey,
>
>> as your co-chair and scribe, i don't have any objection to
>> others taking the poll.  but it would make my life a lot
>> easier if they indicated that they are not WG members when
>> they fill out their entry so i can tell who is who when i
>> summarize the poll.  i admit, i worry a little bit about
>> craziness and pranks, but i'm willing to wait and cross that
>> bridge if we come to it.
>>
>> Roberto?  you have any thoughts either way on this?
>
> I confess that I am seriously puzzled by the exchanges I see in the last
> couple of days wrt the poll.
> Personally, I have no objections whatsoever to "non-members" taking the
> poll, for two reasons, and with a caveat.
> The first reason, is that you cannot prevent it. Although this might not
> seem a good reason per se, it simply means that I see no point in putting an
> additional burden in terms of control, count, identity check, aso. for
> something that is not a vote, but a poll.
> The second one, maybe more substantial, is that I do believe that there are
> people who did not subscribe to the WG because they knew that they could not
> afford the commitment of tons of emails, need for quick responses to issues,
> two weekly teleconferences (maybe at impossible hours from their time
> zones), but that would like to express an opinion anyway. And I believe that
> their opinion is useful to the co-chairs in assessing the situation.
> The caveat is, surprise surprise, the same one that Mikey has expressed: a
> way to identify them as "external contributors" to the poll, not WG members.
> Anyway, the reactions I have read, like the reasons for not allowing
> external folks to participate to the poll (as they could "stuff the ballot
> box") is IMHO disproportionate. And the reason is that this is not a "ballot
> box", but a "poll". When the co-chairs will count the preferences, assuming
> that we will do it in a formal way, it will not be with the spirit of
> declaring a "winner", not even a "majority candidate" that will be in a sort
> of pole position for a compromise solution. Nothing at all of this. I cannot
> speak for my colleague co-chair, but personally what I was looking for was
> not the first choice of you folks, which I probably could have easily
> guessed without having to go through a poll, but which are the grey areas
> (actually, the "yellow" areas). What are the possibilities to create a
> common ground, even limited.
>
> What I see, is a dicomforting scenario. What is upsetting to me is not so
> much the clear cut in two opposite camps (those who favour RACK+ are against
> JN+2 or FreeTrade, and viceversa), but other things. For most, actually
> close to all, members the opinions on the highest ranking proposals are
> either green or red, with very little yellow margin. But that was
> predictable. What is upsetting is that members of the WG are starting
> saying: "But xyz did not vote, did he have the chance to vote, it would have
> [...]

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com