ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Motion for June 23 Council Meeting

  • To: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Motion for June 23 Council Meeting
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:54:02 -0500

thanks Kristina,

i'm actually quite comfortable with the agenda item as it stands -- we'll build
the progress report this week (that's the slide deck i'm talking about) and
present that at the Council meeting.  i think i got side tracked and tried too
hard to get us to an Initial Report in time for that meeting when in fact all
we're on the agenda to do is provide a status update.  so i'm OK letting the
"motion" idea lapse.

mikey

On Jun 14, 2010, at 10:37 AM, Rosette, Kristina wrote:

> All,
>
> In our last call, we had talked about my introducing a placeholder motion for
> the Council's June 23 meeting.  I haven't done that yet b/c (a) the deadline
> is tomorrow (not yesterday, as I originally thought); and (b) I've been
> having difficulty coming up with points on which there is consensus or,
> preferably, unanimity.
>
> It seems to me that, given where we are, the best use of any motion would be
> for the Council to convey a "message" to the community and the Board.  The
> best example I have (and it's not a great one) is what the Council did w/r/t
> the RAA Amendments motion in March 2009:  "The Council wishes to approve the
> set of proposed amendments as quickly as possible so that the ICANN Board may
> review them, and if approved then implement them as quickly as possible." The
> motion was preceded by several Councilors' statements urging the Board to act
> as quickly as possible.
>
> Are there any messages that the WG would like the Council to consider
> sending? What are they?  Here's the VI WG agenda item for the Council's June
> 23 meeting:
>
> • Progress report (Roberto Gaetano &/or Mikey O’Connor or Margie Milam)
> • Summary of discussion from the VI WG session on Saturday (Margie Milam)
> • Council questions?
> • Next steps?
> -*-
> To be clear, I have no strong feelings about such a motion. If we can come up
> with message points, great.  If not, that's fine, too.

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com