ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Revised SRSU text

  • To: gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Revised SRSU text
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:56:46 -0700

There's been a lot of discussion about the compliance piece, so I guess
if we get more detailed about that, it's fine. But here is what I would
prefer to see in the report regarding Exceptions, SRSU, and compliance:

"It is impossible to know or completely understand all potential
business models that may be represented by new gTLD applicants. That
fact has been an obstacle to finding consensus on policy that defines
clear, bright line rules for allowing vertical integration and a
compliance framework to support it while ensuring that such policy is
practical and beneficial in the public interest. However, there is
general acceptance within the Working Group for the following:

1. Certain new gTLDs likely to be applied for in the first round will be
unnecessarily impacted by restrictions on cross-ownership or control
between registrar and registry.

2. The need for a process that would allow applicants to request
exceptions and be considered on a case by case basis. The reasons for
exceptions and the conditions under which exceptions would be allowed,
varied widely in the group.

3. The concept of Single Registrant Single User should be explored
further.

4. The need for enhanced compliance efforts and the need for a detailed
compliance plan in relation to the new gTLD program in general."

All of the details on above are so new that I don't see how consensus
can truly be determined, especially when some of it is still be created
and edited. Otherwise, I have no doubt that when the report is finally
posted there will be edits or other material included that some of us
will not have had the chance to even see. If we go with the above we can
close those three things off pretty quickly.

Tim