ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Comment on Vertical Integration

  • To: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Comment on Vertical Integration
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:53:18 -0400

Michele,

Following up on the off-list exchange of notes, you wrote:

"ICANN accredited Registrars have always been permitted to own shares or membership interests in registries (AFILIAS: .INFO, .MOBI) as well as registry service providers (CORE: .CAT)."

The relationship between CORE and the .aero application and first years of operation, and between CORE and the .cat application and operations, initial to the present, and the relationship between CORE and .museum, subsequent to the application and initial operation, is contractual.

The distinction between CORE's operation as a ICANN accredited registrar, providing registrar services for all gTLD registries except those for which it provides registry services, and CORE's operation as a service provider for .aero, .cat and .museum, is improperly framed as an ownership or membership interest.

A phrasing I think reflecting the facts is that "ICANN accredited Registrars have always been permitted to provide registry services, e.g., CORE and .aero, .cat, and .museum."

This of course is a weaker claim than "ICANN accredited Registrars have always been permitted to own or control registries, e.g., RCOM and .pro, AFILIAS: and .info, .mobi)."

I'm not speaking for CORE, but to my understanding of the facts, and of course Amadeu can always correct my errors.

Eric