ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Tierney letter to Strickland, via Dengate-Thrush

  • To: "ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Tierney letter to Strickland, via Dengate-Thrush
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 02:45:27 -0400

That's actually not a correct summary. The DoJ Antitrust Division opinion was
that cross ownership should not be allowed without first a finding that the
registry in question does not have, and is unlikely to get, market power. If no
market power is found, then CO for CNOBI would be fine.

Some of you may recall that this is precisely what the MMA proposal called for.

Eric, as I recall, was not so pleased with the MMA proposal.