ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] new TLDs work: Recommendation 20 clarification needed

  • To: gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gtld-council] new TLDs work: Recommendation 20 clarification needed
  • From: Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:13:21 +0200

Hello everyone

I have just reviewed all my notes and the subsequent email threads with respect to Recommendations 20. I have also read Robin's email posted http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-council/msg00691.html which says that the NCUC will submit minority reports on both Recommendation 20 ( & 6) next week. Assuming that is the case then, and this is where I need clarity for this week's work, is there any necessity for further discussion from the group? From my notes, it seems that there is no need for further discussion of Recommendation 20 except to determine which formulation the majority of constituencies support.

I have set out the previously agreed text and the text agreed in the small group work.

Could the Committee please advise which it prefers as there was detailed discussion about this on the call which was not definitive, especially in light of the above email from Robin.

Recommendation 20

Previously agreed text: "An application will be rejected if is it determined, based on public comments or otherwise, that there is substantial opposition to it from among significant established institutions of the economic sector, or cultural or language community, to which it is targeted or which it is intended to support."

Small group agreed text: "An application may be rejected if it is determined that there is substantial opposition to it from significant established institutions within the targeted community."

Given the two alternatives, I would be grateful if Committee members could clarify their support for one formulation or the other. The NCUC will then be able to write its minority statement based on the stable text.

I have set out below the suggested definitions, which could be used by the Implementation Team, to effect the policy recommendation into the implementation plan.

Substantial Opposition: A procedure including required documentation will be prepared by ICANN. this documentation will include elements such as a detailed description of the community affected and the nature of the harm it would cause that community to have the TLD granted to the applicant. In judging substantial opposition, the process will include consideration of the number of completely independent established institutions registering an objection.

Established institution: While the normal criteria should for an institution that has been in formal existence for at least 10 years. In exceptional cases, standing may be granted to an institution that has been in existence for fewer then 10 years. Exceptional circumstance may relate to reasons such as: organization was reorganized or merged with another organization, community is younger the 10 years.

Formal existence: This is defined by an appropriate form of public registration or clear public historical evidence. Third party validation by a government, Intergovernmental organization or well known established institution (e.g. International Red Cross, a Bar Association, a Medical Certification Body) may also be used.

I am happy to set up whatever communication the Committee may need during the week. Alternatively, email communication may suffice until the Thursday 19 July Committee meeting.

Kind regards.

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor