ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Opposed to XXX

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposed to XXX
  • From: Romeo <Romeo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:51:44 -0700

I am in agreement with the with the findings of the dissent. My view is the 2007 agreement with ICM was done in error, and was latter corrected. And so it was not a matter of arbitrariness. There was plenty of evidence to a vast majority in opposition to it from the online business community, especially the adult content business community and religious organizations.

I do not consider that the 100,000 preregistrations at ICM is sign of support for XXX. There are many reasons other than that to preregister. These include the protection of a trademark and to get in on the "land rush" for the new domain name real estate that starts with any new TLD whether or not the participants in the land rush are pleased with the TLD. This is because if they don't get that domain name they know someone else will.

The XXX TLD should be rejected for the same reasons SEX TLD was. It opens the door to require adult content to have a XXX TLD. And that has the consequence of the inevitable government censorship that follows due to the ease of filtering. It also causes problems with determining what content should be required to have this TLD. There is a continuum of content between what is definitely G rated and definitely X rated. But there is no continuum from all other TLDs to XXX. A line in the continuum would have to be drawn somewhere beyond which the XXX TLD would be required and that opens the door to endless political and legal battles over where the line is to be drawn. Please do not make this XXX ghetto.