ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

Uniform Rapid Suspension System

  • To: irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Uniform Rapid Suspension System
  • From: acidie <mail@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:44:45 +0930

I am writing to you to voice my opposition to the new ICANN proposal of the “Uniform Rapid Suspension System”, as I feel that this could have serious impacts on small business.

At a bare minimum this proposal could allow bigger companies to implement a “shoot first and ask questions later” policy when it comes to competing websites. Worse, it could be used by a competitor to harm other competing websites.

As you know, there is a fairly low barrier for the existing dispute process for companies that truly feel that their content or rights are being infringed on. If a company is serious about getting a site taken down because of trademark infringement or similar issues, the existing cost and process is actually fairly inexpensive. This cost also acts as a filter to keep frivolous claims from surfacing.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

D. Franklin