ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

EnCirca comments on IRT Final Report

  • To: <irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: EnCirca comments on IRT Final Report
  • From: "t b" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 08:20:23 -0700

<DIV style="font-family:Arial, sans-serif; font-size:10pt;"><FONT
size="2"><SPAN style="font-family: Arial,sans-serif;"><BR>EnCirca would like to
thank the IRT team for their extensive report regarding new Rights Protection
Mechanisms for Intellectual Property Owners.&nbsp; We also appreciate the
opportunity to provide feedback and suggestions on the next steps in the IRT
process.<BR><BR>We have these specific comments regarding the IP
Clearinghouse:<BR><BR>1. The IP Clearinghouse should be accessible by the
public.<BR><BR>The IP Clearinghouse has the potential to become a valuable
asset for the public internet.&nbsp; Processes should be defined to allow
various stakeholder groups to propose new services and new uses of the
data.&nbsp; On page 13 of the report, there is proposed language that "Access
to, and use of such data must be restricted to trademark owners, ICANN, gtld
registries and registrars....&nbsp; <BR><BR>We disagree.&nbsp; This restriction
may have the unintended side-effects of restricting consumer options for self
research and protecting legacy service providers.&nbsp; This restriction denies
the consumer the benefits of accessing this database directly, for example, to
ensure they do not infringe on trademarks and other rights related to their
personal internet usage.<BR><BR>There should be free public access to the IP
Clearinghouse, similar to that provided by the US Patent and Trademark Office
for the US Registered trademark database.&nbsp; At a minimum, there should be a
free public access similar to a web based registry whois.<BR><BR>In addition,
there should be a defined process for various ICANN stakeholder groups to
initiate study groups or new policy development processes focused on the IP
Clearinghouse for new services that could benefit the common
good.<BR><BR>Specific concerns on mis-use of the data should be addressed in a
way that does not limit future approved and legitimate uses of the
data.<BR><BR>2. Open Competitive Tender should be truly open.<BR><BR>A
significant effort will be required to develop the IP Clearinghouse within a
time frame that does not delay the introduction of new gtlds.&nbsp; On page 15,
there is a comment that the "Forerunners of the IP Clearinghouse have been used
by validation agents in TLD launches since 2005".&nbsp;&nbsp; However, I would
caution those who think that existing solutions are already "sitting on the
shelf" for the IP Clearinghouse.&nbsp; Earlier in my career, I was responsible
for developing a new generation trademark search platform for the world's
largest trademark research provider.&nbsp; With all respect, considering the
one-off validation effort for a single TLD sunrise period as the forerunner to
the IP Clearinghouse is a bit like saying the Commodore-64 computer is a
forerunner of the Cray Supercomputer.&nbsp; The scale and complexity of the IP
Clearinghouse dwarfs any TLD Sunrise effort we have seen to date.<BR><BR>On
page 14, in the first bullet, it says the "contract should be awarded on the
basis of an open, competitive tender.&nbsp; Unfortunately, the second bullet
dilutes this statement by restricting bids from a provider "that is not
currently in a direct contractual relationship with ICANN to provide domain
name registration services, including that of a gtld registry, registrar or
other technical provider of domain name services to a gtld registry or
registrar". &nbsp; We would recommend striking this language.&nbsp;
<BR><BR></SPAN></FONT><FONT size="2"><SPAN style="font-family:
Arial,sans-serif;">ICANN's first priority is to solicit and then select the
best overall technical solution for the IP Clearinghouse.&nbsp;
</SPAN></FONT><FONT size="2"><SPAN style="font-family: Arial,sans-serif;">The
key technical requirements are: time-to-market, scale and complexity.&nbsp; It
is likely that interesting solutions could be proposed by existing
ICANN-contracted parties.&nbsp; </SPAN></FONT><FONT size="2"><SPAN
style="font-family: Arial,sans-serif;">The inclusion of this restriction on
bidders would have the unintended side-effect of stifling competition for the
IP Clearinghouse and could prevent the emergence of superior solutions from
qualified service providers.&nbsp; ICANN should keep the tender truly open to
encourage bids from the widest possible range of bidders to ensure receiving
multiple proposals that satisfy the required large-scale technical
architectures and skillsets.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Once the best proposal is
selected, any issues of potential conflict by ICANN-contracted parties can then
be addressed in the ICANN contract.</SPAN></FONT><FONT size="2"><SPAN
style="font-family: Arial,sans-serif;"></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp; <FONT
size="2"><SPAN style="font-family: Arial,sans-serif;"><BR><BR>Now is not the
time to stifle competition and the possible emergence of innovative solutions
on how to best implement the IP Clearinghouse.</SPAN></FONT><BR><FONT
size="2"><SPAN style="font-family: Arial,sans-serif;"><BR>Thank you for your
attention,<BR><BR>Thomas Barrett<BR>President<BR>EnCirca - ICANN
Registrar<BR>www.encirca.com<BR><BR><BR></SPAN></FONT></DIV>