ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

IRT Report and Recommendations

  • To: irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: IRT Report and Recommendations
  • From: dtp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:35:12 +0000

Good day, gentlemen;

As a website and domain network developer, I have grave concerns about the
recommendations made by the IRT concerning the proposed URS. The UDRP is a
process that works well, and it affords all parties concerned with a domain
name dispute an equitable opportunity to address concerns and present
legitimate defenses against frivolous claims of ownership of domain names.

The present proposal, until all legal interpretations are considered, will
result in potential chaos online. There is a free enterprise system that is
being jeopardized by permitting passage of the URS into policy. Those who own
trademarks - and I own trademarks - would be able to force domain owners or
website operators to shut down on the basis of a claimant's allegation of bad
faith. This process completely usurps the due process clause of the US
Constitution. It results in the seizure of property. While domains and their
registration fall under the aegis of contract law, the content that is
published there is intellectual property, and forcing a domain owner with a
legitimate contract right to a domain to suspend operations to DISprove the
allegations of a trademark owner is a reverse application of the law.

The burden of proof should be on the trademark owner, entirely.

This is a dangerous precedent that will result in a litigious process. The UDRP
is sufficient to handle the concerns of trademark owners, of which I am one.
And a person need not be a trademark owner to warrant registration of a domain
name. We own no trademarks for Rodan Media, but it is a corporation organized
under Florida Law.

I strongly encourage you to reasses this proposed URS, and I implore you to
consider the broad implications resulting from the potential of abuse of such a
system, if enacted.

My thanks to you for your consideration of this email.

Daniel Thomas Pryor
Vice President
Rodan Media Group Corporation
625 Antioch Avenue