ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

Comment on proposed .NET Renewal

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment on proposed .NET Renewal
  • From: Danny Pryor - Rodan Media <dtp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 13:04:34 -0400

To Whom It May Concern:

It has come to our attention that ICANN is entertaining the prospect of adopting the proposed URS system, in lieu of the UDRP process, for the .NET renewal, to take effect July 1, 2011. It is also understood that the URS would replace the UDRP, based upon the .NET precedent, as an dispute resolution policy of the .COM registry renewal, slated for 2012.

Considering the URS has yet to be adopted, itself, implementing the URS as part of the .NET renewal is an egregious usurpation of the UDRP reform process that has been in process. It is a sneaky means by which to overhaul the UDRP process without comment and participation by domain holders and trademark holders, of which we are /both/.

As the UDRP process applies to all TLDs, and its reform is applicable to all TLDs, implementing UDRP reform, without imposing the proposed URS upon TLD renewals, would be a course we support. In fact, it is a policy upon which we have commented previously.

The procedure being undertaken, with regard to the .NET registry renewal, is underhanded and improper.

Thank you for your consideration of the foregoing.

Sincerely,

Danny Pryor
954.934.4310

--