ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc]

[npoc] Re: Info Request and Update --GNSO NCPH January 2013 Inter-Sessional Planning - Traveler Info Requested

  • To: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: [npoc] Re: Info Request and Update --GNSO NCPH January 2013 Inter-Sessional Planning - Traveler Info Requested
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 11:26:08 -0500

Hi Bill, Thanks and one more iteration embedded in color in the text below

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:07 AM, William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh, two messages with the same subject line…
>
> On Dec 8, 2012, at 2:47 AM, Alain Berranger wrote:
>
> Hi and thanks Bill,
>
> Of course, I agree that ICANN is not about ICT4D.
> I'm not sure we face a policy making vs ICT4D issue... Rather, NPOC's
> perspective is more about a broader view of what GNSO can do in the quickly
> evolving IG scene... so inclusion, equity and opportunity in the Global
> South come from ICT4D yes, but can also come from IG work... Of all people,
> you would know that in spades!
>

> It is indeed a concern I share, part of why I spent four years organizing
> IG4D workshops at the IGF to work out an intellectual agenda and then began
> beating the drums until they turned it into an annual main session.
>  Unfortunately, since then it has sort atrophied intellectually, and turned
> from an effort to systematically assess developmental dimensions of CIR
> policymaking and related issues into a let's talk about anything related to
> the Internet and the global south sort of affairs.  So it goes with
> democratization and inclusion, people do what they're interested in...

I believe that at ICANN, we need to not only do policy work but also
understand the impact of ICANN policies on development...so why not have
IG4D discussions at ICANN?

> Yes we may have time to discuss in LA, but it will be a very low priority
> for us…
>

> GNSO policy is a very low priority for you?  And you don't think that's a
> problem?  We are going to LA to talk about how to do it more effectively,
> so yes, you may be bored….
>
> No, the low priority is to discuss with NCSG Execs who have no time nor
respect in some case for NPOC folks. We will limit our dialogue in LA to
those willing to follow the letter and spirit of NCSG Charter section 1.2.d
:".... treating others with dignity, respect and courtesy..."

> What ever happened to this:
>
> *The purpose of the NPOC is to represent, specifically, the operational
> concerns related to service delivery of not-for-profit and non-governmental
> organizations who are domain registrants in the DNS.
>
> NPOC will focus on the impact of DNS policies and their effects on the
> operational readiness and implementation of non-commercial missions and
> objectives.  NPOC members rely on the Internet and DNS policies to provide
> valuable services to their communities.
>
> NPOC will engage the ICANN community on how proposed and existing policies
> and initiatives may uniquely impact the operations of not-for-profit and
> non-governmental organizations and the delivery of their mission-related
> services.  Such not-for-profit and non-governmental organizational
> perspectives on operational concerns include domain name registration,
> expansion of the DNS, fraud and abuse, using the DNS to provide and collect
> information and serve their members and communities.
>
> The operational concerns described above drive how NPOC members actively
> manage their infrastructure, create and improve internal processes and
> controls, manage risk, and respond to and respect the welfare of the
> communities they represent.*
>
> Aside from the initial intellectual property claims, we've never seen any
> real activity geared toward defining just what the above mean practically.
>  What operational concerns about readiness and implementation do you that
> that relate to GNSO policies?  Is your community fired up about domain name
> registration, expansion of the DNS, fraud and abuse, using the DNS to
> provide and collect information and serve their members and communities?
>  If so, why not develop proposals, initiatives, statements along these
> lines so everyone would understand better?  And then bring these into the
> conversation in LA, the GNSO, etc?

I agree that NPOC's policy work is nescent, insufficient and understand
that you would like to see more contributions from NPOC - so would I. We
are trying hard to bring new blood to NPOC/NCSG but the NCSG membership
application process has been a barrier to that, at least in terms of speed
and spirit. Our very experienced Vice-Chair, Lori Schulman had to disengage
for personal reasons. That was a big loss to NPOC in terms of her expected
accelerated engagement in the months to come which will now not happen. If
we cannot bring in more people like Poncelet Ileleje and Marie-laure
Lemineur and Eduardo Monge into NCSG/NPOC we will not be able to increase
our contribution to a critical and significant level. It is a case of too
few volunteers having to do all the work - I note volunteer fatigue
already. We are also active in a number of WGs (SIC, IRTP, Thick Whois just
recently) and are increasing this aspect of our work as part of our
learning curve. We contributed to the discussions on the new proposed Cyber
cafe Cy and are part of the WG. We did not run any NPOC candidates for the
GNSO Council because we are not ready and we have more than enough to do at
the Cy and SG level. How long did it take NCUC and NCSG to reach its
current capacity? 10-12 years? Even the NCUC folks' interventions are
limited to a few very active members, mostly from academia or IP sector not
civil society, on the NCSG-Discuss list. We are dancing as fast as we
can...

> we like to do a bit more than just listen to old tunes from the old timers
>

> aka people who are engaged and know the issues
>
> ...yes, but we have not failed to notice from some a tremendous defensive
attitude of acquired entitlements and quite a resistance to change and
newcomers... Face it, knowing the issues as you do, puts you in a
leadership position to share, train, disseminate... (As you did in Baku at
NPOC Side Session and I thank you again for it!). Avri, on that count, is
litterally a one-person Training Academy as she is a very generous
professional in carrying out those leadership activities... Avri
participated in NPOC  very first webinar on the DNS for NGOs in December
2011. We also note, again from some, a very disrespectful tone in
discussions using personal attacks, innuendo and sarcasm... which makes
newcomers very hesitant to jump in... nobody likes to be wacked in emails!