ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ombudsman-framework]

Update on "comments"

  • To: <ombudsman-framework@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Update on "comments"
  • From: "Richard C. Tietjens" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:20:38 -0800

Update on the comments page: It seems that ICANN uses a
Challenge/Response email system, which is in itself abusive (that is, it
will send unsolicited challenges to whatever address is forged into the
 From or Reply-To header). I went ahead and confirmed my comment, but our
SOP is tell our users to *never* confirm challenges because they are
either sent directly by spammers to harvest "live" addresses, or they
are sent by clueless dweebs who aren't competent to run an Internet mail
server.

I am not certain which of those describes ICANN.