ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

Re: [ga] ICANN's Brave New World of Tiered Pricing for Top Level Domain Names

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN's Brave New World of Tiered Pricing for Top Level Domain Names
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:32:54 -0700

George Kirikos wrote:

You open the mail, though, and see a renewal notice for your domain
name that is $75,000/yr, instead of the $10/yr that you were used to.

Sign up with .ewe and you pay a one time fee (probably will be on the order of $25) and you have the name as long as there is a .ewe registry.

But you'll have to pay for services - like for when you want to update those NS records or when you want to unpublish the name for a while (oh, the ICANN TLDs don't have the concept of holding a name but not necessarily putting it into the zone file? Sigh, how primitive.)

But then again, ICANN won't allow .ewe into the root zone. Thus, because I don't fit into ICANN's business and fee model, my enterprise is condemned never to be born.

And I'd like to know what legal authority ICANN has to deny me entre into the domain name marketplace?

                --karl--