ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

Agreement Comment

  • To: <org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Agreement Comment
  • From: "Charlotte" <Charlottegilbert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:15:06 -0400

You have got to be kidding me?  This is not a
fair business offering or practice.  How dare
an agreement alienate those of us who have
worked hard and long to organize, manage and
develop our sites?!  This is a sure way for
the internet to collapse onto itself like a
dead star causing a black hole where nothing
survives.  I believe it to be Economic
coercion and Extortion.  This so called
agreement is the primary basic definition of
extortion/usury (The term extortion is often
used metaphorically to refer to Usuary or to
price-gouging, though neither is legally
considered extortion. It is also often used
loosely to refer to everyday situations where
one person feels indebted against their will,
to another, in order to receive an essential
service or avoid legal consequences. For
example, certain lawsuits, fees for services
such as banking, automobile insurance,
gasoline prices, and even taxation, have all
been labeled "extortion" by people with
various social or political beliefs.)  We are
the backbone of the internet and if this
agreement passes, the internet will become
paralyzed or even go into a vegetative state
leading to a life-support plug pulling fiesta
.  Is it ICANN's idea to ruin it all and
start over then have a feeding frenzy based
upon who can afford THEIR prices!?  Hindsight
is 20/20 and if ICANN feels they missed the
bus on this 11 years ago,  it is not our
fault.  I often wonder who comes up with
these ideas and if they are in fact
techno/web savvy enough to look at the big
picture of development, progress and
continuity.  From what I have seen it is not
a positive picture of progress on ICANN's
part.  In fact, look at this agreement from
an economic view everyone can see the
coercion factors.  It is time for ICANN to
place a water bottle on their foreheads and
come up with a different plan.

Charlotte S. Gilbert

Web-Graphic Development