ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

No Price Caps Clause

  • To: org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: No Price Caps Clause
  • From: HLK <harvkap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:37:19 -0400

The proposed TLD Registry Renewal Contracts for .info, .biz, and .org domains contain a very serious flaw.
The " No price caps" clause is the most troubling and dangerous.

I use the word dangerous because this short-sighted concept could lead to disastrous results in the internet community
and have unintended results. Just some of the potential pitfalls include:

Many non-profit organizations could be subject to higher renewal fees based on the their domain name and forced to abandon their websites.

Many companies who have developed a business around their domain name might face going out of business based on renewal fees.

This would set precedence to the .net & .com registries future contracts.

This could cause thousands of website owners with trademarked domains to lose their domain names leaving the registry with
the option of trying to find a new customer willing to pay the registration of a trademarked domain, or Verisign essentially
becoming the largest cybersquatter on the internet holding on to trademarked intellectual property.

This one issue alone could open up potentially /thousands /of lawsuits from companies claiming damages against the registry.

Verisign would be subject to one of the loudest public outcries know in the history of the internet and severely tarnish public opinion.

I for one would be very proactive and be willing to spend large amounts of money for legal costs fighting this proposal.

This one issue could be the undoing of ICANN and Verisign as we know them today.

Sincerely, Harvey Kaplan HLK Enterprises,Inc.