ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

MojoHost and 10,000 client sites say "DO NOT REMOVE PRICE CAPS!"

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: MojoHost and 10,000 client sites say "DO NOT REMOVE PRICE CAPS!"
  • From: "Brad Mitchell" <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:32:08 -0400

To Whom it May Concern,

An an internet entrepreneur since 1999, the owner of several hundred domains
and the web host to over 10,000 domains I wish to voice my disapproval of
the proposed policy changes.

Removing price caps on .INFO, .BIZ or .ORG domain names does not serve the
public interest and furthermore it threatens the business of all of the
current registrants.  By their very nature, as late entrances into the
approved TLD selection, these domains primarily serve individuals, small
businesses and non-profits.  Those that were early and those that could
afford it primarily maintain .COM and .NET TLDs.  I see this as a tremendous
disservice to consumers and virtually every business vertical online.  As an
internet host that has spoken with it's clients, I would expect to see a
drop of most domains already registered in those TLDs if the price cap was
removed and registrars raised their pricing north of even the $25/year mark.

The competitiveness in the domain market has helped to move the internet
economy and opportunity forward, globally.  Removing price caps on domain
registrations will serve only the interests of registrars and those in the
business of pure speculation.  If domain registrars seek to increase their
revenues or profitability they should be forced to be creative and
competitive like everyone else online.  Offering them the right to raise
their pricing as such will absolutely lead to price gouging.  Additionally,
forcing a current registrant to pre-pay for X years at the current low
prices is an unfair business tactic and in our honest opinion not a fair
solution to the problem.

We emplore you to make the right decision and do well by the consumer!
Ultimately, this serves the interests of the entire online community better
and furthers the respect industrywide and in the public that ICANN needs to
continue being effective.

Sincerely,

Brad Mitchell
CEO, MojoHost