ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

Variable domain name pricing is not within the jurisdiction of ICANN

  • To: org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Variable domain name pricing is not within the jurisdiction of ICANN
  • From: T Harrison <trey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:34:37 -0700

As a small business owner who has made a considerable investment in developing the domain names I own, I am firmly opposed to the variable pricing of domain names by the .org registry.

There is no justification for a "domain regulation" entity to arbitrarily raise the the price of the services it performs unless the cost of performing those services goes up. ICANN does not own domain names. They are an entity whose function is to facilitate the buying, selling, and representation of domain name ownership.

If someone at ICANN wishes to make money selling domain names, they must create an outside for-profit corporation, purchase names from ICANN, and sell them to interested parties, just like the rest of us.

They cannot simply raise the base cost of domain names without justifying it with increased service costs, and they certainly cannot raise the renewal value of a domain name that has already been purchased by someone else.

Trey Harrison
http://www.harrisondigitalmedia.com